Thursday, April 9, 2015

Week 18 (Right Foot) and Week 3 (Left Foot) Thursday April 9, 2015

It's been quite a while since my last post which was at the end of January.

Right foot: It's now been 18 weeks! At around 10-12 weeks, I tried to start running outside and couldn't go more than about 1/2 mile without pain beginning to set in where I had the hyprocure implant surgery. I took a couple of weeks off and then went snowboarding in Colorado without any pain. I got in about 5 days on the mountain, and the most painful part was taking my boots on/off as they are a very tight fit which is required for the sport (not quite as bad as for skiing). At week 14, I then tried running again and was able to run 1.5 miles through Golden Gate Park. The next day, I ran on the treadmill and ran 3 miles without any pain. My suggestion to anyone is probably to go back to treadmill running first before trying to run outside as you can be more "planned" about where you plant your foot and your pace while running on the treadmill. I'd consider my right foot to be completely back to normal now; there's no pain and I can walk/run on it as I used to.

Left foot: I had my left foot surgery on Friday March 20, 2015. The first 48 hours were certainly more concerning than with my right foot surgery back in December. With the left foot this time, I experience extreme swelling and numbness. Even with constant icing, I didn't start to feel more "back to normal" until Sunday morning (2 days later). However, a positive to this is that I didn't really feel any pain since there wasn't much feeling at all in my left foot. Since then, it seems to be doing better than my right foot at this same point in time. Not much pain at all, I'm walking around all over on it, and I'm sleeping through the night just fine. This reinforces an important point: no two hyprocure surgeries will be the same, even on the same person!

With the left foot now at 3 weeks since the surgery, I've already taken a short flight from San Francisco to Seattle (we had a friends' wedding that I had to attend last weekend) and I'm comfortably walking around the city as normal. The stitches came out after 2 weeks and the bruising/swelling is so minimal, it's even better than the right foot was at the same since surgery. I plan to start cycling in May and then running in June. Once I get back into running, I will go back to the doctor's office to get new orthotics made. I'll post some pictures later this month when I have more time of what the incision site looked like and the x-rays once they took the stitches out.

1 comment: