Friday, September 23, 2016

Friday, September 29, 2016 (Almost 2 years after right foot surgery, 18 months after left foot surgery)

It’s been almost a year since my last blog post, and I’ve received some recent comments/questions about how my feet are doing now. I’m happy to report that I’m still extremely pleased with the results of both of my HyProCure foot surgeries. It’s been almost 2 years since I had the HyProCure implant put into my right foot, and about 18 months since my left foot procedure.

I still have a good level of correction in both arches, and I'm able to walk and run without any issues. I usually run about 3-4x per week, about 4-5 miles for each run. I prefer to run outdoors, but probably only get the chance to do that about 1-2x per week. The good news is that I can run outdoors on any terrain or indoors on the treadmill without any pain. I’m still using the same pair of orthotics my doctor had made for me prior to the surgeries. I probably need to get some new orthotics made at some point since they’re about 3+ years old now, but it’s not urgent as I’m not having any pain/discomfort while running (I wrote a similar comment in my prior blog post about a year ago, so you can tell it’s not a problem, but probably a nice-to-have).

For anyone out there considering the HyProCure procedure for your feet, I still highly recommend it. The healing process seems to work best and most quickly for patients that are in good overall health, in good shape at a healthy weight and younger (ie under 50 years old). I’m fortunate that I fit that profile and have really been happy with my results.

2 comments:

  1. Ann, did you experience any discomfort in the back of your foot near the PTT/Achilles tendon area early in your recovery originally when you would walk around? I can't tell if this discomfort is from having one good foot done and the other one maybe causing the imbalance and discomfort? Did you experience anything similar in the first couple months that adjusted over time? I seem to be walking fine but the feeling is like right behind my arch around the heel, any insight would be great! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Charles, thanks for reaching out! What's important to remember is that even on the same person, my left foot healed differently than my right foot. To answer your question: no, on neither foot did I have any Achilles tendon discomfort, but that doesn't mean that it's not normal for you to have it since everyone is different. If you're more than 8-12 weeks past your surgery date, then I would think that's not normal (you should have your doctor evaluate it). However, from others I've spoken with on these procedures, the healing process can vary so much in the first 12 weeks that I'd suggest you take it slow and not get too worried if it's still early in your healing process. I hope this clears up for you and you're able to run again without any pain!

    ReplyDelete