Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tuesday October 7, 2015 (10 months after right foot surgery, 6.5 months after left foot surgery)

Good morning! I've had some comments/questions posted on the blog which is great; please feel free to ask questions as I always make it a priority to respond as quickly as I can.

It's hard to believe that it's been over 10 months since my right foot HyProCure surgery and 6.5 months since I did it on the left foot! Things are going really well since my last post at the end of June. I've been running outdoors about 2-3 times per week, and doing Yoga and bike rides on other days when I can find the time. Most of my runs are about 3-5 miles at around a 9min/mile pace. I ran a 12K (7.5 miles) race on Sunday, and was happy to be able to finish even though I didn't feel trained for it based on the distances I'd been running (8:47 per mile pace was okay with me).

I got a new pair of running shoes in August; I stuck with the same ones I typically buy (Asics Gel-Kayano) although I probably could have went for a slightly more neutral shoe. I have some slight lower back soreness if I run distances greater than 5+miles 2-3 days in a row, so I try to space out my runs with a rest day or cross-training day in between them; or vary the distances. The guy at the running shoe store tried to talk me into going with a more neutral shoe as he thinks I'm having some over-correction at this point, so I might try a more neutral shoe if it really bothers me in the future. At this point, it's very manageable, and the good news is that I don't have any knee or hip pain (which was happening before my surgeries). At some point, I need to go back to see my doctor to get new orthotics made; I'll try to make it a point to do that in the next month or so and then report back on how things are going with my running.

6 comments:

  1. I'm scheduled for my first foot on June 16. I've gone from adventure racing and orienteering races a month ago to a standstill with posterior tib tendon pain. It all comes from over pronating. I sure hope this works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Devon - thanks for your comment! First of all, good luck to you on your upcoming surgery next month. Let me know if you have any questions. Remember not to try to rush the recovery; everyone recovers differently, and just listen to what your doctor advises. I'm currently 14 & 16 months from surgery on my left & right feet (respectively) and am still having great results. I'm running without any pain about 3 times a week, around 4 miles each time. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Ann,

      I am having hyprocure done on my left ankle on 10/7/16. I was wondering if you are still having long term success?

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
    3. Hello, LizC22 - I'm excited to hear how your hyprocure procedure goes next month! Mine are both doing really well. It's been about 22 months (right foot) and 18 months (left foot). I ran 5 miles this morning, and 3 miles yesterday. I can wear any style of shoes (high heels, flats, summer sandals) without pain. Everything seems to be going really well still, which is great. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and good luck with everything!

      Delete
    4. Ann, that's so amazing to hear!!!! That makes me feel much calmer about the surgery! I will let ou know how mine goes! Well wishes to you!!! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete