Friday, December 26, 2014

Week 4 (Fri Dec 26)

Coming up now almost 4 wks since my surgery. The last week has been great being on vacation and spending a lot of time with family due to the holidays. I've been wearing a variety of shoes from my running sneakers (with orthotics), low-heel Troopas (boots) and flat soft boots. I'm walking without any limp at all, and I'm comfortable in all styles of shoes. I'm going to stick with these 3 varieties of flat shoes over the next 7-10 days, too, just to help the healing process. Then, I might consider a different shoe (ie something dressier for work with up to a 1-2" heel). Also, same as last week, after a day of being on my feet all day (cooking, baking, shopping, etc) my heel is swollen. As an example, it was so swollen last night that you could barely make out any of my bones on the front of side of the heel around the full perimeter of my heel. However, after a full night of rest, when I awoke this morning, it was back to normal. There is still some tenderness to the touch on the inside of my right heel (surprisingly on the side opposite the incision from the HyProCure surgery). I did a better job of remembering to keep my foot elevated as much as I could if I was sitting at home or with some family members, and my foot is in much better shape this evening before I go to bed. Also, to be completely honest, it's still a bit uncomfortable to sleep. This is due to my foot being very sore if there is any sort of lateral movement (ie walking in a straight motion or flexing my foot up/down is fine, but trying to go left/right is not advised and is painful). I've been wearing the aircast stirrup brace most nights which helps, but I still wake up in the middle of the night I've moved around in a position that is painful to my foot.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, thank you for your blog. I also had both feet redone, one after 9 months as it never felt right & the other after 3 months as the stent was to big for my foot & it lost its flexibility. I had the right one redone 9 weeks ago & it's perfect. I just had the left redone which is my worst foot 8 days ago. My question is I know I have to wear my boot to bed for a couple of weeks but I'm a side sleeper so have & I move from side to side constantly. I'm always afraid this sleeping position is going to cause this stent to move. Did your Dr, say anything about that? Did you sleep on your side? He also wants me to wear my boot for 3 weeks. I will be so glad to have this behind me. How are you doing now? Please keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb! You're right - it feels great to have it finally behind me :) I'm 6 months past the right foot, and 10 weeks past the left foot and feel amazing. I've been working out regularly without any restrictions; looking forward to when you can say the same! As for the aircast boot - my Doctor was strict to say I needed to wear it during sleep with it fully pumped of air. By pumping it with air, it'll form a protective "firm shell" around my heel so that I couldn't move it laterally even if I moved around in my sleep. Like you, I wore it that way for 2 weeks with the large air cast boot, and then switched to the more simple one for the next 2 weeks. I am also a side sleeper, and felt confident that the firm boot would take care of limiting my lateral motion. I hope this is helpful for you.

      Also, here is a link on Amazon of the kind of boot I wore for the first two weeks: http://www.amazon.com/Short-Walker-Fracture-Boot-Medium/dp/B009G5QAM2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433125599&sr=8-3&keywords=aircast+boot

      Mine was similar, maybe a bit bulkier, but the point is that you can pump it full of air to completely stabilize your lateral motion.

      Good luck!

      Delete