Sunday, December 14, 2014

Days 10 - 14

It's been a busy 4 days; and I'm just now getting a chance to write about how I'm feeling as I round out the first 2 weeks for my HyProCure implant.

Day 10 (Wed Dec 10)
Finally got my stitches out! Dr Abe says I'm doing great; hardly any swelling and the x-rays show the HyProCure implant is perfectly in place. In the picture of the x-ray below, you can see the right foot with the green circle around the correctly-positioned HyProCure implant (the one the doctor just inserted Dec 1). Then, on the left foot, there is a red circle around the implant that is 5 yrs old and out of place (I'll need to re-do this foot, too). The before and after pictures are amazing when looking at the back of my foot. There is actually an arch now when I stand. I don't have any pain when I walk on it, however I'm very cautious and favoring my weight on my left foot. I should keep my foot wrapped for another 3-4 days of showering to better allow for the wound to heal. Also, it's time to start weening off the aircast boot. I've switched to an aircast ankle brace stirrup. All good news! As a note: my healing process is going very well; I'm very fit and in great athletic shape, which I think has helped. I also eat a mostly plant-based diet, and I've been taking extra Vitamin C each day which I've ready several studies saying it helps support quicker recovery.



Day 11 (Thur Dec 11)
I'm taking it easy all day today. I probably overdid it yesterday after the good news from the doctor's appt to remove the wrapping and stitches. Afterwards, my husband and I went grocery shopping and then out to dinner a couple of blocks walking from the house. My foot was actually a bit sore and swollen once I got home last night. I decided to retire the aircast boot and have switched over to the aircast stirrup brace. Sleeping was much more comfortable in the brace vs the boot. I've been wearing the stirrup brace along with my normal running shoes and orthotics for easily walking all over my house today. In the picture below, you'll see the before (left) and after (right) pictures of my right foot. The "before" picture was taken the day before my surgery, and you can clearly see the curve of my heel bone as there is no correction. On the right, is the "after" picture taken just 11 days later at the doctor yesterday when I was getting my stitches out. The correction is really incredible! Pardon the bruising/swelling of the inside of my ankle in the right picture; that is normal and expected after the surgery.



Day 12 (Fri Dec 12)
I'm exhausted; and ready for bed so I can get some good rest before our annual holiday brunch party tomorrow that we're hosting at our house. I spent over 6-8 hours today on my feet in my house (doing laundry, cleaning, decorating, baking, and preparing for the brunch). The bottom of my feet are actually sore from being on them all day long; probably aggravated by the fact that I've been taking it so easy the last 2 weeks since getting the HyProCure implant surgery and now have overdone it. Again, I wore my aircast stirrup brace all day with my running shoes plus orthotics.

Day 13 (Sat Dec 13)
The holiday brunch was a huge success! I woke up at 7am to start several of the dishes and get ready before our first guests were due to arrive around 11am. My feet felt great all day; I didn't wear shoes, just socks with the aircast stirrup brace. We had over 20+ friends at the house for most of the day. Such a great day and my foot is doing so well.

Day 14 (Sun Dec 14)
I spent most of the day watching football and cleaning up from the brunch party yesterday. Taking it easy today; no pain and still wearing the aircast stirrup brace with my socks (no shoes). Very comfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment