Monday, February 8, 2021

Monday, February 8, 2021 (Over 6 years after having surgeries in 2014)

 Good morning! It's been a couple of years since I published an update. I thought it would be timely to do so today since I'm seeing more comment activity recently, and I just went to see my podiatrist last week. 

Full disclosure: this is a new podiatrist, as we have moved to a different state from where I got my Hyprocure implant surgeries done back in Dec 2014. The new podiatrist is highly regarded in the area, so I felt comfortable seeing him. He did indeed seem pleasantly surprised that I was having positive results at my age with the surgeries. I'm 40 yrs old now. Both Hyprocure implants are still in place and they are not causing me any discomfort. 

However, I'm seeing some other issues creep up now, relative to lower back pain which may be caused by a few factors. Mainly: I have hypermobility (as do 20% of people in the US); this is a fancy way to say I'm double-jointed with extremely flexible ligaments. In this new doctor's opinion, this makes me not an ideal case for the Hyprocure implant procedure, and he said that coupled with my older age, he would personally not have recommended it for me. He says that he's seen very positive results on this mostly with children and those with normal mobility. That being said, he was pleased that I've been happy with the results (up until now, I'm a bit lukewarm now vs 6 years ago). 

What I've been unhappy with recently is that I've noticed my feet seem to pronate more now than they initially did when I had the procedures done, and we suspect this is causing my low back pain. He said that due to my hypermobility, that the bones in my foot have adjusted over time to begin to pronate again, despite the fact the implants are in place. 

Also, due to covid, I have been working from home the last 11months, hence, I haven't been wearing shoes a lot as we don't go out a lot. My workouts consist of 6 days a week on my Peloton, which is sometimes the only time in the day that I'll wear shoes. This means I haven't been wearing my orthotics and that's further aggravated my pronation, leading to back discomfort. Therefore, I was fitted for new orthotics last week and will be getting some new motion control shoes to wear indoors as I walk throughout the house so I can use my orthotics more. This is definitely something to watch out for as some folks have transitioned to a work from home environment. 

He also recommended that I get some Vionic brand slippers to wear in the house, too, as they have more arch support. I'm excited to get my new orthotics in the next few weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment